Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Various Fishing Techniques
  • Page:

TOPIC: Frogging - my favourite all-time technique!!

Frogging - my favourite all-time technique!! 7 months 1 week ago #466

• madporra
  • madporra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 32
Hey guys, let's hear what (and why and all and all) you use, for frogging.
Here is my contribution to the subject.

Frogging is my absolute favourite technique of all time. Unless you’ve caught fish on this technique, my comment would be “You haven’t lived until you frog-fished!”

My setup is as below:

Rod:
Kistler LG Micro guide frog rod. 7'6" H action, super light, with loads of backbone!
- It must be a lightweight rod (mustn't break your back coz you could be casting all day)
- It must be long so you can cast far (7'6" with micro guides helps a lot!), and
- It must have good backbone (hence most frog rods are H action).

Reel
I used a Curado E7 for a while, but then I discovered my Pinnacle Optimus reel can cast the frog an absolute mile! It's AMAZING! And it has a great drag.

Line
BWG Maji Kamba 50lb braid - nothing less! Great line, lasts long, and hauls those fish out of the green stuff and into the boat

bluewatergear.co.za/home/306-50lb-300m-m...blue-water-gear.html

Hooks
I am very fussy. for my frogs, I like the Zoom INLINE Frogging hooks with the “evenly-wound” spring.
It's a 5/0 I think, and fits my preferred frog perfectly (Culprit Pro Frog), hence I try and not change the hook type and size.
The MOANER INLINE SWIMBAIT hooks which Brent from BWG used to stock were the same size, and they were great!

Call me weird but the spring coils must be the perfect diameter. If the coil diameter is thinner than the Zoom spring, the bait pulls out easily and your baits get damaged really quickly.
If you use the spring with a conical shape, the spring doesn't hold the bait as well, and it pulls out too.
Hence (for me) I found the diameter of the Zoom springs to be the absolute best.
In layman terms, the evenly-wound spring holds the bait better because it is holding more “meat”, whereas the conical shape only really holds on the bait well on the biggest ring – the rest of the rings in the spring to me, are doing nothing for the bait. Hope you understand what I mean …..

I could not get any springs at one stage so I made some myself some at the campsite one day. But because the wire wasn't the right tensility, I kept breaking the loop when I attached the wire to the hook. I also tried using paperclips but after a day or two they rusted to hell and gone. Plus they had a kink in from where it was originally bent, so it didn’t work so lekker.
I eventually found some springs and bought a whole heap of them.

Make sure the hook is the INLINE hook, i.e. the hook eye is IN LINE with the hook, and not at 90° to the hook like the normal bass hooks - this makes a huge difference to my lure, and it's also a lot more difficult to use the spring on a normal hook because it doesn't sit properly in the hook eye.

Preferred baits / Frogs:
I prefer the Culprit Pro Frog - great action, but importantly, nice and heavy to throw a mile. I used the CULL-EM and ZOOM HORNY TOAD, but they are lighter – I can’t tell you what a difference that tiny weight difference makes to me. Make sure the hook is not exposed when rigging.
However, Marnus has made his own frog which has an awesome leg action, and it bubbes a lot more. Love his frogs!

HOW? Well that’s the thing. Cast the frog, click over just as it hits the water, and start realing straight away. Depending on the conditions, adapt your speed and action accordingly.
The most important thing (which is DAMN hard to get right with frog fishing) is to have nerves of steel!
What do I mean?!
You need to let the fish inhale the bait for a second before setting the hook. That means you HAVE to be ready at all times for a blow-up, because most of the time you never know when it’s going to happen. Once the fish takes the bait, drop the rod tip for a second and the hit it – and hard! You don’t want to lose a good fish because you struck like a girl.

Talk about an adrenalin rush!!

Let us know your thoughts and experiences ………
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schalla, Goose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frogging - my favourite all-time technique!! 7 months 1 week ago #468

Would you believe me if I said I do all that with the following set up?

7ft M Pesca Rod(more like a MH action)
8lb Gamma fluoro
Shimano Citica G baitcaster
4/0 Owner EWG hook (thick gauge)

Havent lost a fish yet. I dunno what the fuss is about for braid :huh:
The village idiot

Frogging - my favourite all-time technique!! 7 months 1 week ago #469

Paul, have you tried the centered springs from BWG?
I think they are perfect for this application!
Bass fishing is my passion!
Making my own plastic lures is my hobby!
Catching bass on the lures I make is fulfilling!

Frogging - my favourite all-time technique!! 7 months 6 days ago #472

• madporra

Jim_from_Zim wrote: Would you believe me if I said I do all that with the following set up?
8lb Gamma fluoro
:huh:

8lb fluoro?! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :blink:

Frogging - my favourite all-time technique!! 7 months 6 days ago #473

• madporra

Schalla wrote: Paul, have you tried the centered springs from BWG?
I think they are perfect for this application!

Nope, but I am placing an order for them!

Frogging - my favourite all-time technique!! 7 months 5 days ago #474

madporra wrote:

Jim_from_Zim wrote: Would you believe me if I said I do all that with the following set up?
8lb Gamma fluoro
:huh:

8lb fluoro?! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :blink:

Yip. 8lb
The village idiot

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.874 seconds